Friday, July 6, 2018

Lessons From a Garden

Lessons From a Garden...

"Man. It's hot!" were the words rolling off my tongue as I began to drag the water hose around the house to water my mini-garden. <insert bug-eyed emoji here> Now, I will admit, my little garden really is a work of love more than anything else, because it sure isn't pretty. Nevertheless, it is a beautiful teacher. As the early-morning-ninety-degree-sunshine beamed down on my head, I felt sorry for the peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers that were trying so valiantly to produce sustenance from their tiny blooms. I had arrived home late the night before, and well, quite honestly, was too pooped out to water my square patch of land. Guess what. Missing one day, amidst this kinda heat, is unhealthy for these little guys, and they were thirsting - big time. And the weeds...ugh...they thrive in the humid, sticky heat - they had no trouble growing in among all my sweet veggies and fruit. As I began to pull the weeds away from my peppers, it made me think of the my own heart, mind and spirit. Often life gets "humid, sticky, hot" and sister, sister, do the weeds ever start crowding out the fruitful blooms. Christ said himself that that He is the "Living Water" and when I drink of Him, I will never be thirsty because He is the eternally flowing fountain of life. (Jn. 4:5-15) I know, with all that I am, that He is mine and I am His, so, when I am dry and thirsty, it is because I am not tapping in to that everlasting spring of Living Water - and it makes me question: "when did you pray last, what have you been focusing on, how long has it been since you really drank in the Word, and what weeds need pullin?" When I stood up from pulling weeds and tending the yellow-white blooms, I opened up the shower of water on my tender plants. The parched earth soaked in the refreshing drink, all the way down to the roots. I tell ya what, if a cucumber on the vine could say thanks, mine would have. I know that is how my soul feels after a refreshing time with the Lord. He pours out His showers of blessing on me, and fills my heart to overflowing with His thirst-quenching Living Water. When He "searches me, tries my thoughts" and shows me what weeds of iniquity need pulling, and then proceeds to do so, I find myself pruned, watered, and ready to bloom, all with a great big "thank you!"

♥️t

1 comment: