Monday, May 14, 2012

James 1:21-25


Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls. But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.  For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:  For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
James 1:21-25

 We are often in the "audience" when a wonderful sermon is preached and God may very well reveal a truth to our hearts that someone else may NOT get.  If we just sit on that we will "forget" what God has been revealing to us by holding the Word up to our souls and using it as a "glass" {a hard brittle transluscent,transparent substance} to be a mirror ...reflecting an image of how these truths can help us live in Him and through Him...how we need to change and the freedom and forgiveness we can have in Christ. When we are not listening attentively and taking an active step toward Him, then all we see is ourselves (natural face), we aren't seeing the inward man, the soul changes that God is trying to reveal to us.  We forget the person that we were, cause all we see is right now.  It is easy to let these truths escape us if we are not practicing what He is teaching us through the Word being spoken to our hearts.
 Being a "doer" doesn't just mean the outward acts of faith; it is also recognizing and seeing the inward man.  It, to me, means taking that reflection and living out the true definition of "doer" which is {performing what is required, keeping, obeying in practice}.  The practice of reading the Word, studying it, AND living it in our service to Him by having a servants heart for others. keeping  For me, taking all of what I HEAR and learning to meditate upon it is also a big part of being a "doer".  When I look in that mirror, I don't wanna just see myself... I want to see God in me, what He wants to change within me and the work HE would have me to in service to Him, the things I need to be thankful for, the sins I need forgiveness of (Search me and try me Lord).  I don't ever wanna just walk away and forget the truths and convictions He is showing me.
Now for the next scripture (v 25), I had never really caught this or even thought about what it might mean. And well, it was quite amazing when I began to study it out.
The simple definitions blew me away...
{liberty} Freedom from imprisonment, bonds, or other restraint upon locomotion.
{law} a rule of being or of conduct, established by an authority able to enforce its will; a controlling regulation; the mode or order according to which an agent or a power acts.
So, freedom established by an authority able to enforce its will... WOW! I got it this time around Brother... His will in my life is to  live in the salvation that HE gave me.  I know I can't be perfect in my flesh, but, through HIM I can be perfect in my purpose which is to praise HIM and bring glory to HIM... I can walk in forgiveness and service and to me, THAT is being a "doer" of the Word and not just "hearer.

2 comments: