Saturday, June 1, 2013

Being a " James 3:17 " kinda friend...




Sometimes, when faced with talking with someone, it can be hard to speak a plain truth.   I've often been afraid of hurting feelings or making someone mad...but what a disservice we do by trying to always be pleasing and avoiding the hard issues.  proverbs 29:5 says that "A man that flattereth his neighbour spreadeth a net for his feet"   ...It is sure to set us both up for sin and failure; but words of wisdom will be truthful and the truth brings freedom... John 8:32 The Lord's Word instructs us that "ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."  It does me nor anyone else any good if I don't adhere to the word in my encouragement.   

 The delicate thing is balance ....
We need to not be judge, jury and executioner in our counsel either... James 3:17 says that wisdom from above  is pure, gentle, peaceable,  full of mercy and good fruits; not partial, not hypocritical  and easily entreated...

I know in my own relationships, I treasure those few friends who will speak the truth of God over my life.  The ones I know will tell me to seek the Lord's word and  tell me, in love, just how it is.  I feel no judgment in their words, but only the witness of the Holy Spirit convicting my soul of where I need to change and comforting me when I need to feel peace.  I am by no means saying those conversation are always easy, I'm just saying that God is in them, they are good and they are needed!  
 I desire to be the kind of friend that is the " James 3:17 wisdom" packin' kind...the kind that always says," it ain't about us it's about Him!" "He loves you, seek His word" , "what would He say about it?" "You look to the Cross, hold on to it" And  "I LOVE YOU, NO MATTER WHAT!" 

...as the Lord deals with my heart more and more, I am finding this truth to be simple...flattery  is a "feel good fix" but godly encouragement is a sustaining healing ...It  might sting at first but his truth is a balm for our souls! ! I

1 comment:

  1. Amen! That is so true.
    "Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful." (Proverbs 27:6) I treasure your friendship! : )

    ReplyDelete